The Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism of Tanzania (the “Ministry”) has issued a public notice on 26 November 2018 (the “Notice”) in respect of registration and application for tourism business licences (“TTBL”) for the year 2019, both for new applications and renewals of existing TTBLs. The Notice stipulates that all tourism operators are advised to commence their applications for their respective TTBL licences in order for the Ministry to issue the licences in time. Such applications can only be made through the new electronic application system known as the MNRT-Portal which can be accessed through the Ministry’s website on the following link: www.mnrt.go.tz.
The Notice further stipulates that the following tourism activities require licences pursuant to the Tourism Act 2008:
- Tour Operators/Safari Outfitters;
- Photographic Safaris;
- Travel Agents;
- Handling Agents;
- Overland Tourist Trucks;
- Hot Air Balloon Safaris;
- Horse Riding;
- Tourism Sea Ferries and Boat Safaris;
- Tourism Water Sports (big game fishing, scuba diving, etc.);
- Tourism Recreation (Zoos, Snake Parks, etc.);
- Air Charter Services (Non-scheduled flights);
- Mountain Climbing or Trekking;
- Car Rental or Car Hire Services;
- Amusement Centres;
- Professional Hunters;
- Professional Safari Photographers (filming);
- Tour Guides;
- Exclusive Luxury Accommodation Facilities;
- Tented and Mobile Camps;
- Town Hostels;
- Vacation Hostels;
- Cottages and Serviced Apartments;
- Camping and Caravan Sites;
- Tourism Home Stays;
- Cultural Heritage Centres; and
- Curio Shops and Cultural Tourism Enterprises.
Please note that all applications for a TTBL must also be accompanied with the following documents:
- Tax Clearance Certificate from the Tanzania Revenue Authority; and
- Proof of registration with the Workers Compensation Fund.
Should further information be required then visit the Ministry’s website or visit the Ministry’s head office at University of Dodoma in Dodoma; or the Tourism Zonal Offices located at Mpingo House, Dar es Salaam; or New Mwanza Hotel, Mwanza; or Iringa NSSF Block; or the Tanzania National Parks Authority head office in Arusha.
If you have any questions regarding this legal update, please contact Amish Shah by email on firstname.lastname@example.org.